Horizon 2020 – Excellent Science2011-12-27
The Competitive Industries objective aims at making Europe a more attractive location to invest in research and innovation, by promoting activities where businesses set the agenda. It will provide major investment in key industrial technologies, maximise the growth potential of European companies by providing them with adequate levels of finance and help innovative SMEs to grow into world-leading companies.
Horizon 2020 will:
- build leadership in enabling and industrial technologies, with dedicated support for ICT, nanotechnologies, advanced materials, biotechnology, advanced manufacturing and processing, and space, while also providing support for cross-cutting actions to capture the accumulated benefits from combining several Key Enabling Technologies;
- facilitate access to risk finance;
- provide Union wide support for innovation in SMEs.
Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies: will support the development of technologies underpinning innovation across a range of sectors, including ICT and space. Horizon 2020 will have a strong focus on developing European industrial capabilities in Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) with a budget of € 5894 million in constant 2011 prices. These include:
- Micro- and nano-electronics; photonics
- Advanced materials
- Advanced manufacturing and processing
- Development of these technologies requires a multi-disciplinary, knowledge and capital-intensive approach.